Monday, October 10, 2011

Fish or Fancy?

Sometimes there are weird relevations that we have... a recent one of mine was when I was making a salami and fetta quiche... and watching our fish, bummpy.

I remember the first time I met bummpy. She was timid and shy, hiding in a rock cave adnorned with flowing and ebbing sheeves of moss. She wouldn't come out to say hello, she won't respond to my advances. But she was there and so was I...

And she was a creature in the care of the man that I would come to love and I too craved his attention.

Bumpy soon started to come out of her cave.. and attack the glass where I was. Being a territorial fish, it appeared that I was invading her space - her tank and the area surronding the man who cared for her. Maybe she was right, but at the time I just wanted to win her over

But as time went on, the attacks lessened and soon Bummpy was coming to the glass at the sound of my voice. She would dance with me as I grooved in front of her tank, she would dart around in excitment when I sang to her.

The realisation that occured to me was not what it took to win over a fish. Like any animal or even plant on this planet, love will win over anything, given time. What I realised was the motivation.

I looked at Bummpy vying for my attention as I was cooking away and realised that I have had little time for her lately. Sure I feed her, but Liam does that most of the time. I say hello at least once every day, or every two days, but spend less than 30 second with her.

What I realised that I was seeking to secure the love of the man that I was growing to love, and through a creature in its care that has his love. And now that I no longer need to seek the "master's" love, did my love wither for Bummpy without the need? And if so, what type of person does that make me?

Sure you are thinking - it is a fish. But Liam also has a son. And now I love Jakob like my own and certainly wish that he was with me more often. But was the intial motive unpure? That maybe subconsciously I thought that the love of the son would be followed by the father?

Honestly, I know it was probably not that severe, but I knew when I sat in my car for 30 minutes before be able to drive and meet Jakob for the first time that I knew that if he hated me, there was no future.

What I know know is that I love Jakob, with no reservations, with an aching longing that is ever hampered by unnecessary and hurtful remarks but someone that will remained unmentioned...yet seeks my introduction

Luckily for me, Liam loved me from the movement I met him, and before I was able to face the fact that I was able to love again. But it makes you think sometimes - what is the motivations for the way that I act and are the affections I seek always from the person that I seek them from... or to secure the love/affection/praise/attention of another.

No comments:

Post a Comment